As you know, the crankshaft is one of the essential parts of the car. It is responsible for converting linear energy into rotational energy for the vehicle.
Therefore, when the crankshaft sensor fails, it will significantly hinder your movement. You need to check and reinstall the sensor to minimize the negative impact on the wheel. The following article will help you how to reset crankshaft position sensor no start.
The crankshaft sensor determines the rotational speed of the engine control module. Therefore, when the sensor does not work, the car engine will not run at your desired capacity. So, you can refer to the answer below.
Is It Possible To Reset The Crankshaft Sensor?
When reinstalling the crankshaft sensor, you will encounter some difficulties. Specifically, the magnetic sensor will receive data from the crank of each revolution. Then, the car computer will take this data and compare it with the database simultaneously to ensure the synchronization between the two parties.
When a synchronization error occurs, the computer activates the engine code. If you own a modern car, it will automatically cut off the power to prevent damage to the engine.
Therefore, the best way to overcome all that difficulty is to replace the crankshaft sensor with a new one and reinstall them. Because then you will remove all previously stored trouble codes of the sensor and synchronize it completely.
So when to reinstall the crankshaft sensor? This is the question that almost everyone is facing.
When To Reset The Crankshaft Sensor?
You should reset the crankshaft sensor immediately after you replace the unit. Because it will remove all previous trouble codes. In addition, if you do not reset the sensor, it can cause some problems: backfire, starting failure, and several other phenomena, which will reduce the car’s engine power.
You can refer to the “how to bypass reduced engine power” to better understand the negative consequences of reduced engine power and how to overcome them.
So how to install the crankshaft sensor when idle? You can use two ways: Using the scanner and not using the scanner.
How To Reset Crankshaft Position Sensor No Start
To better understand these two methods, you should buy yourself one of the two sets of Chilton or Hynes car manuals. The book series will give you all the information about the crankshaft sensors and how to handle them when there is a problem.
Use the scanner
- Step 1: Connect the system scanner to the car’s computer. This way, you will ensure that there are no trouble codes left in the memory of the previous sensor. A unique code that you can have is DTC P1336 CKP Variation Not Learn. If there is more than one, the car’s computer system will automatically disable the classification until you resolve the issue causing this code.
- Step 2: You fix the car position: Install the brake, close the hood, and block the steering wheel.
- Step 3: Start your car. It would be best if you kept the engine oil and coolant levels optimal at around 158F.
- Step 4: Select CASE
- Step 5: Start the engine and hold the pedal firmly.
- Step 6: Follow the instructions on the scanner sequentially.
- Step 7: After completing step 6, your motor will go into an idle state. Also, you need to check DTC P1336 or the trouble code. At this point, there will be 2 cases. In particular, if CASE has been learned, then you have completed the CKP sensor reallocation. In contrast, if CASE has not been learned, you need to go back to step 1 and check if the powertrain code restricts the re-hierarchy. If yes, you will repeat steps 2-7.
Do not use the scanner
- Step 1: Turn off all accessories on the car. At the same time, you need to keep the air sensor and the coolant level 5C apart and start the engine.
- Step 2: Keep the engine in “Park or Neutral” mode for 2 minutes.
- Step 3: Accelerate your car to 55 mph and maintain this speed for 10 minutes. The engine will then reach its operating temperature.
- Step 4: You continue to maintain the speed for another ⅚ minute.
- Step 5: Reduce speed to 45km/h and maintain it for 1 minute. Note that you need to keep 4 such deceleration cycles with each cycle lasting 25 seconds. Then you need to return to 45 km/h in 15 seconds between those deceleration cycles. During deceleration, you will not be able to break.
- Step 6: Accelerate the car to 55km/h and maintain it for 2 minutes.
- Step 7: Keep the car idle for 2 minutes. At the same time, you need to leave the transmission in Drive or neutral with the clutch pressed.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Can I reset the crankshaft position sensor?
The answer is yes. There will be 2 ways to reset the crankshaft sensor: Using the scanner and not using the scanner. You can use 1 of 2 methods to reset the sensor.
What causes no crank, no start?
- The fuel pump is unstable, and the engine will not run and shut down.
- Faulty fuel injector
- Damaged fuel filter
Then you need to check all the situations to determine the exact cause of the crank not working.
Hopefully, the article will help you grasp on how to reset crankshaft position sensor no start manually. You should do a reinstall even if it’s completely new. Because it will help you to remove all previously stored trouble codes.
In addition, reinstalling the crankshaft sensor will help you have a safe journey, avoiding possible unfortunate risks.