As you know, most cars are equipped with a StabiliTrak system. This system allows the driver to avoid dangers: slippery roads or speeding. However, in some cases, if we do not turn off StabiliTrak mode, it can hinder your movement.
The following article will help you turn off the StabiliTrak safety system for some famous car models today.
What is Stabilitrak?
Stabilitrak is a patented electronic control system (ESC) from General Motors. This system allows users to drive in a stable and safe state, avoiding risks to car drivers.
Some typical dangers that can be avoided are slippery roads, unsafe driving warnings, or speeding. That way, the driver can be assured when using the vehicle.
However, in some cases, Stabilitrak will interfere with our movement. Typically when you go into a swamp, if you do not turn off the Stabilitrak, the vehicle will be reduced in performance, making it difficult to move, So the best way is to turn it off manually and proceed to drive.
Ingredients of Stabilitrak
Stabilitrak system consists of 3 components: electronic control unit ECU, brake system mechanism and several sensors including:
- Steering angle sensor
- Driving speed sensor
- Steering angle sensor and horizontal acceleration
With such components, the Stabilitrak system will recognize obstacles, hazards or provide sensor-based assessments. Its mechanism of action will be described below.
How Stabilitrak Works
The Stabilitrak system works to keep your vehicle safe on the road. The Stabilitrak sensor monitors the position of the tires and the dash relative to the direction you are driving.
Stabilitrak’s microprocessor analyzes sensor data every 25 seconds to see if the driver’s movements match the actual move. In case the car starts to turn in another direction, the system will notify you of upcoming dangers.
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) harnesses the braking and deceleration of each wheel individually to maintain stability on the vehicle’s path. In addition, the system can intervene and operate the engine and reduce power if needed.
However, in some cases, if you do not turn off the Stabilitrak system, it will be a big obstacle for the journey. You need to turn it off to ensure the stability of your vehicle. Of course, each type of car will have its way of turning off Stabilitrak.
How To Turn Off Stabilitrak On Different Vehicles
Because each vehicle has a detailed design, you need to understand the system before turning off Stabilitrak thoroughly.
For Ford models, you can use the procedure below to disable the Stabilitrak system.
- Step 1: You need to press the traction control button on the steering wheel. Then you release the button immediately.
- Step 2: Next, you will press and hold the control button for a short period. At that time, the Stabilitrak system will automatically turn off.
Alternatively, you can use another way to turn off the StabiliTrak system:
- Step 1: Find the location of the StabiliTrak sensor. At this step, you need to go to the car menu and check the steering wheel controls under the dashboard.
- Step 2: Try to find the black arrow on the left side of the steering wheel and press it.
- Step 3: You need to set up the settings and in the settings management section. Then you select “accept,” and more options will appear after completing this step.
- Step 4: You should select driver assistance from the new options and tap on the OK button.
- Step 5: At this step, the option “drive control” will appear. What you need to do is check the steering wheel and press OK. The StabiliTrak system will turn itself off.
To turn off your car’s traction control mode, you need to do the following 6 steps:
- Step 1: You need to switch to accessory mode. In this step, you need to leave the car in the engine-on state.
- Step 2: You need to move over the light and put your hand on the warning light. If you are still wondering about the type of light, just find the triangle button and press it.
- Step 3: After pressing, the warning light will come on. You can move on to the next step.
- Step 4: In this step, you need to press the accelerator pedal. You need to work slowly and repeat 4 times in a row.
- Step 5: The car will move forward; it will go a few feet. After that, TC will work again.
For Toyota models, the StabiliTrak system will be turned off more easily, and you only need to take 2 steps to complete this step. Because Toyota cars have a VSC button.
- Step 1: Press and hold the VSC button for a few seconds.
- Step 2: After about 5 seconds, it will disable VSC as well as TRAC. Next, the screen will show the message “VSC OFF” and “TRAC OFF”. You have successfully turned off the StabiliTrak system.
Chevrolet and GMC
To disable the StabiliTrak system for Chevrolet and GMC vehicles, you need to perform 5 steps:
- Step 1: Press the center button, then switch to the button on the motherboard.
- Step 2: Hold the button for a few seconds. At that time, traction control will activate.
- Step 3: In this step, the screen will display the DIC message. Your task is to wait. When your speed reaches 56 km/h or more, the StabiliTrak system will stop working.
FIAT, RAM, Dodge Jeep y Chrysler
- Step 1: You press the ESC button and hold it for about 6 seconds
- Step 2: After hearing the whistle, you will see the ESC turned off.
Above is how to turn off the StabiliTrak system for each vehicle model. In addition, users also have some questions that you may also be wondering about. Here are 3 frequently asked questions in StabiliTrak mode.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
What causes StabiliTrak to come on?
When the warning light comes on the dashboard, your wheel sensors may be faulty, the steering angle sensor is defective, or the rotational speed sensor is bad.
What happens when StabiliTrak is off?
When the StabiliTrak system is turned off, no software will interfere with your driving. You will be fully active in your travel journey. At that time, you need to be calm and always be careful in all situations to avoid unfortunate risks.
Is it safe to drive with StabiliTrak off?
You are perfectly fine while driving. StabiliTrak is a tool to help control the vehicle in dangerous situations: slippery roads, slips, … In some cases, instead of asking for StabiliTrak’s help, you need to drive and adjust behavior actively. Because the system does not always do its job properly and well.
In addition to the StabiliTrak system, Limp mode is also a mode many drivers are interested in during car use. You can refer to the article “how to bypass limp mode” to understand more about Limp mode.
Hopefully, the above article will help you to turn off StabiliTrak mode easily and conveniently. Each car line will have its way of turning off. Therefore, you should learn about your vehicle before proceeding to turn off the StabiliTrak system.
In addition, you need to carefully consider which cases should be turned off or not to ensure your safety and the most favorable travel journey.