As for the cause of the steering wheel being locked, you can rest assured because there are many methods to reactivate the steering wheel. The following article will help you find out how to unlock steering wheel without key.
The cause of the locked steering wheel can come from many different reasons. It is a valuable sign so you can quickly identify if your car is having steering problems.
What Causes The Steering Wheel To Be Locked?
There are many reasons why your steering wheel is temporarily locked. You might be interested in two main reasons: safety and protection from thieves.
- Safety: When you turn off the engine and get out of the car, the steering wheel will automatically lock if you try to turn the wheel. Why did the manufacturer invent this feature? Because it will help your car stay in place when not in use. Wheels will not automatically move or slide when the steering wheel is locked.
- Protect your car from thieves: Manufacturers add this feature to your vehicle to minimize the rate of vehicle loss. Locking the steering wheel will make it difficult for the thief to break the lock to open the car and take it away.
In addition, there are several other reasons why you cannot unlock the steering wheel, such as the battery is dead. So, how to unlock the locked steering wheel without using the key? You can refer to 3 methods below.
How To Unlock Steering Wheel Without Key?
To unlock the steering wheel by 1 of 3 methods, you need to prepare some of the following main items: WD40, hammer, chisel device, or screwdriver. After preparing all the necessary things, you can proceed to unlock work.
Method 1: Unlock the steering wheel yourself
It would help if you kept the following tips in mind to use this method: Do not apply too much pressure when turning the wheel. You need to apply moderate force to avoid damaging the lock.
This method will include the following 4 ways:
- Try inserting the key continuously with turning the ignition: You can try turning the wheel towards you before the wheel locks. If you don’t remember the dimension, you can try both ways.
- Use a different key: If your primary key fails, you can switch to another key. There are many causes of a faulty master key: battery failure, long essential usage time, etc. However, currently, many car manufacturers do not provide backup keys. If not, you won’t be able to use method 2.
- Use WD 40: In some cases, your wheels lock due to dirt, debris, or foreign objects appearing in the locks. To fix, you can spray WD40 on the lock, and they will help you remove the dirt stuck inside. After spraying, you need to turn it back and forth until the lock opens.
- Using a hammer: With this method, you need to insert the key halfway and knock it with a hammer. With this method, you need to be careful about the force of the knock because it can damage the lock.
Method 2: Unlock via ignition replacement
To use this method, you need to do the following 4 steps:
- Step 1: Remove the column plates in the hoist by removing the screws holding the lower fork of the hoist.
- Step 2: Work on the cylinder lock. To locate the cold cylinder lock, you need to release the tab in the locking system and press it down. At the same time, you need to turn the lock until the cylinder moves backward.
- Step 3: Install the new ignition key system and try to unlock it with the old key.
- Step 4: Reassemble the column plates in the hoist. You need to fix and tighten the screws back to their original position.
Method 3: Unlock by loosening the adhesive padlock
To perform this method, you need to pay attention to check the liquid level of the power steering pump.
- Step 1: Spray cleaner on the lock.
- Step 2: Spray spray canned air on the lock. This way, you will remove dirt and foreign objects from the lock.
- Step 3: Use the key to turn it over and over again until the steering wheel lock opens. In some cases, the key has chipped teeth, making it impossible for you to connect the key to the steering wheel. To fix it, you need to replace the key with a new one or contact a service agent.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
You can refer to some related questions to better understand the causes of the locked steering wheel and how to fix them.
How do you manually unlock the steering wheel?
To unlock the steering wheel manually, you can use one of the 3 methods above. If all three methods do not work, then there is a good chance that your car has a severe problem.
If you are just a beginner, the support of various types of manuals is essential. Refer to the “Chilton vs Haynes” to choose for yourself a suitable one. From there, you can determine the cause of the current condition of the car.
How do you release a steering lock?
The hand lock is directly connected to the steering wheel. To unlock, use your left hand to shake the steering wheel left and right continuously.
At the same time, you need to use your right hand to turn the ignition switch from the LOCK position to the ACC or START position.
How do you unlock a steering wheel with a turnkey?
To unlock the steering wheel with the turnkey, you need to do the following 4 steps:
- Step 1: Put your key on the steering wheel
- Step 2: Apply pressure towards the turn of the key and maintain that pressure. At the same time, you need to shake your steering wheel left and right, up and down continuously.
- Step 3: Move the key until it rotates
- Step 4: Complete the work and turn on the car
Hopefully, the article will help you to know how to unlock steering wheel without key. You can apply 1 of 3 methods to be able to open the steering wheel quickly and effectively. Note that when applying the technique, you need to use some tips to make unlocking more convenient.