As you know, the engine is an indispensable device for every car. The quality and cost of the vehicle will depend on the engine system by 50%. Therefore, focusing on engine development is suitable for all automobile manufacturers.
There are 2 types of famous engines in the car world: LS2 vs LS3 . The following article will give you an overview of these two types.
Overview Of Ls2
If you are a person who often learns about car engines, it is impossible not to know about the LS engine line. Currently, the LS engine has developed many different versions. In particular, LS2 is the version that you will not be able to ignore when it comes to this high-end engine line.
The LS2 was produced in 2005. The LS2 had 24x reluctance wheels and 1x sprockets when it first came out.
Then the manufacturer upgraded the LS2. Specifically, the gear system changed from 24x to 58x and the cam chain from 1x to 4x. This improvement has made the LS2 name more famous in the automotive engineering world.
Specifications of LS2:
- Capacity: 6.0L (5,967 L) / 364.1 cu/in
- Horsepower: 400 hp at 6,000 rpm
- Torque: 400 lb/ft at 4,400 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10.9:1
- Cylinder diameter: 4.00 inches (101.6 mm)
- Travel: 3.62″ (92mm)
With the LS2 engine, you won’t need to worry too much about engine breakdown conditions. Because this system possesses many details that have excellent working ability.
Therefore, the fact that there are no fuel injectors or the engine stalls while on the move is very rare in the LS2. You can safely travel long distances using the car in many different weather conditions.
Overview Of The Ls3
Like the LS2, the LS3 is a generation of LS engines that provide superior stability compared to other machines on the market. First appeared in 2008, until now, the LS3 is still the perfect choice of many car manufacturers. It delivers up to 430 horsepower with extreme performance.
- Capacity: 6.2L / 376 cu / in
- Horsepower: 430-436 hp at 5,900 rpm
- Torque: 424-428 lb/ft at 4,600 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Cylinder Diameter: 4.065″ (103.25 mm)
- Travel: 3,622 (92mm)
Which Car Lines Compatible With Ls2 And Ls3
With LS2 or LS3, you can thoroughly apply it to many different car models. The difference in horsepower will be the premise for compatibility with each model. Here are some models that are compatible with the LS 2 and LS3:
- LS2:Cadillac CTS-V (06-07), Chevrolet Corvette C6, Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS, Chevrolet SSR (Super Sport Roadster), Pontiac GTO, Saab 9-7X Aero, Vauxhall Monaro VXR,…
- LS3: Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible, Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe, Chevrolet Corvette, Drakan Spyder, Holden VF II Commodore, Holden WN II Caprice-V, HSV Clubsport R8, HSV Clubsport R8 20th Anniversary Edition (Limited Edition),…
Difference Between Ls2 vs Ls3 intake manifold
The difference between Ls2 and Ls3 will have a clear distinction because these are two versions released at two different times. Both types of motors are environmentally friendly and provide outstanding performance.
Every year, the manufacturer improves both the LS2 and LS3 and adds new details to enhance their quality and productivity. But, after testing and based on customer feedback, LS3 seems to have better performance than LS2.
With LS3, when you attach LS3 and LS2 heads, you get 20w hp+. Furthermore, the LS3 motor will give greater motor flow and power than the LS2. In addition, the bore size is also the difference between LS3 and LS2.
With the LS2, this engine has a barrel of 4,000”, while with the LS3, it has a 4,065”. 0.65” will create a different impact on the actual fuel flow entering the cylinder. Besides the difference in the bore between LS3 and LS2, there are many other differences: injector, intake manifold, regulator, etc…
Here are some of the specs differences:
- Compression ratio: The compression ratio of the LS2 engine is 10.9:1. The compression ratio of the LS3 engine is 10.7:1.
- Horsepower: With the LS2, this engine has 390-395 horsepower. The LS3 has more horsepower than the LS3, ranging from 426-436 horsepower.
- Torque: The LS2 engine has a torque of 400ft/Lbs. As for the LS3 engine, it has a torque of 420-428 ft/Lbs. The difference in torque will create a difference in the performance and acceleration of the machine. Typically, the difference between Is3 vs Is6. Is6 will provide superior performance and acceleration over LS2 and LS3.
- Combustion chamber volume: With the LS2, they have a capacity of 65cc. As for the LS3, this engine has a tank capacity of 68.7cc.
- Cost: The cost to buy the LS2 engine kit will be lower than that of the LS3. That difference may be due to the production life of these two engine lines. One version was produced in 2005, and the other was in 2008. At the same time, the LS3 offers a more powerful performance than the LS2. Therefore, buying the LS3 kit will be more expensive than the LS2.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better, LS2 or LS3?
In terms of quality and performance, the LS3 is slightly better than the LS2. While the LS2 has a bore of 101.6mm, the LS3 has a bore of 103.25mm. This difference contributes to the change in horsepower of these two engines. When the LS3 is 30 hp more or 36 hp with the HSV, it runs smoother and more efficiently.
What’s the difference between LS1, LS2 and LS3?
The main difference between the LS3 compared to the LS1 includes the increase in displacement due to the larger barrel. At the same time, the engine head design of the Ls3 is significantly improved, with a revised camshaft, revised intake manifold, and larger fuel injectors.
In addition, the difference between LS1, LS2, and LS3 is in terms of investment costs. LS3 is the most expensive engine line. Because the details inside the engine have changed to meet the needs of current car models.
How to clean engine LS2 and LS3?
For both two engines, to clean them, you can use many different ways. You can use active and passive methods for your propulsion system.
With the passive method, the Ls2 and LS3 engine appear rattling or stalls suddenly; it’s a sign that your machine has problems. The cause may be the amount of dirt appearing in the fuel injector pipe, or the coolant system is too low.
As a result, your engine will not be operating at its best. The best way is to bring LS2 and LS3 to car maintenance centers.
With the proactive approach, you should prepare the best conditions for your vehicles when they start operating. Specifically, the type of engine oil will be the first factor that you need to pay attention to.
There are two types of engine oil capable of providing excellent performance for the engine: Liqui moly vs Mobil 1. In addition, you need to choose the right fuel for the machine so LS2 and. LS3 can work with stable performance.
Hopefully, the article will help you better understand the two lines of LS2 and LS3 engines. With these two engine lines, the LS3 will have better performance and workability than the LS2.
That’s partly because they were later than the LS2. Another part is due to the details’ design that allows the LS3 engine to operate more efficiently and more powerfully than the LS2.